If you zoom in really closely on the picture above, you’ll see some tiny dark specks hiding in those rice krispie treats. Those browned butter specks are what take these from good to so freaking good you want to eat the entire pan. And the sprinkles on top just make them adorable (Wilton has THE cutest sprinkles that come in big bags!).
I don’t have many collections but I do have a box full of sprinkles, eagerly awaiting the right occasion for their adorableness to be sprinkled all over and make the world a more cheery place. These watermelon ones were categorized as “special occasion” sprinkles in my mind, but saying that out loud made me realize how insane I sound for having special sprinkles.. so I am resolving to just use the dang sprinkles!
Next up I’m using these ones because HOW FREAKING CUTE ARE AVOCADO SPRINKLES?!
Salted Browned Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- 1 cup salted butter, chopped into tablespoon size pieces Kerrygold is my fave!
- 2 10 oz bags mini marshmallows
- 12 oz Rice Krispies
- sprinkles optional
- Line a 9×13" baking dish with parchment paper or lightly grease with butter.
- Brown the butter – Heat butter in a large saucepan over med-low heat, stirring occasionally, until deep golden with dark specks on the bottom of the pan and fragrant. It will melt, then foam, before turning deep golden. Watch it closely! Once it is browned, it will burn quickly if left to continue cooking.
- Turn heat down to low and add mini marshmallows. Stir until marshmallow have melted.
- Take mixture off heat and add Rice Krispies. Stir until evenly combined, then press into prepared baking dish with buttered hands. Add sprinkles on top while still warm and gently press in. Slice and eat!