This salad has been one of my faves since my friend Kelli made it for me last summer! She sent me the recipe of a chicken and quinoa salad by way of a few other friends, that morphed into something like this along the way.. and I think it’s perfect! It’s the best combo of sweet and tangy, chewy and crunchy with farro, parm, grapes, golden raisins and candied pecans.
I use a lot of farro in my kitchen – I just think it’s such a great grain! It cooks so quickly and is naturally sweet, nutty and chewy; I think it makes the best addition to almost any salad. If you need more ideas of what to make with farro, try my Apple, Date and Farro Bowl with Crispy Prosciutto, White Bean Tomato Soup with Farro or my Peach Farro Arugula Salad with Candied Hazelnuts.
Kale Farro Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- ¼ cup good quality extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp honey or maple syrup
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 2 bunches lacinto kale
- 2 oz parmiggiano reggiano finely grated
- 2 cups cooked farro* cold or room temperature
- 1 ½ cups green grapes halved
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ½ cup toasted or candied pecans** roughly chopped
- Combine the vinaigrette ingredients in a small jar and shake to combine.
- Pull the kale off the stem and thinly slice into bite-sized pieces. Transfer to a large bowl and toss with half of the vinaigrette. Use your hands to lightly massage the kale to help it soften and absorb the dressing.
- Add the parmiggiano reggiano and farro and toss well to combine. Add the grapes, golden raisins and pecans and lightly toss again.